Safe Taxi Charter
We’ve launched the Safe Taxi Charter – a pledge by the UK Private Hire Taxi and Mini-Cab industry to adhere to the very highest standards of sanitisation.
By signing the Charter, firms are promising to do everything they can to protect their customers and drivers, to create and maintain a safe environment.
We can see that green shoots of recovery are beginning to show in the UK travel industry as the lockdown starts to ease. With people travelling for work and leisure again, they need to know that their transport options are safe and reliable.
Strict safety and hygiene measures will remain an essential part of our day-to-day lives as we navigate this new normal.
However, public transport services have been greatly reduced and those that do run are often over-crowded, particularly in major cities. This makes social distancing almost impossible in many cases.
We’re calling on the taxi industry – which has continued to serve its local communities throughout the crisis– to step up and show that taxis are a safe and comfortable way to travel.
Every firm that signs up to the Charter will implement the following procedures, delivered by all staff and drivers:
The Safe Taxi Charter
- Social Distancing guidelines will be followed by the driver.
- Drivers will have no physical contact with the passenger. (Unless in an emergency situation or if a passenger requests assistance)
- Hand sanitisers will be provided to all drivers and customers. Drivers will sanitise their hands regularly.
- Option to pay by card through the app, to avoid drivers and passengers using cash.
- Vehicles which have a shield installed will be regularly cleaned and sanitised.
- Drivers will wear clean clothes each day, be well-presented and maintain impeccable personal hygiene.
- Drivers will wear PPE in line with the latest government guidelines.
- The Passenger area of the vehicle will be wiped down and cleaned with sanitiser regularly.
- The Driver will conduct a weekly inspection and deep clean of their vehicle.
- Signage to be displayed, (where available and where licensing permits) to convey safety and sanitation messages in and out of vehicle.
“With travel resuming, we know that safety is going to be an important factor for the public as people decide what method of transport to take to work. We need to show that, as an industry, we’re doing everything we can to put their minds at ease.
We’re encouraging the entire industry to get behind our Charter – by signing it, taxi firms can guarantee that they are providing a cleaner and more hygienic way of travelling for both customers and drivers,” said Safa Alkateb, CEO at Autocab.